Friday, November 16, 2007

Page One

My name is Gino Del Guercio, and I've been making documentary films for the past 21 years. Some of the documentaries I've worked on that you may have heard of are: Nerds 2.0.1, Red Gold, and Transistorized. I specialize in science, medicine and technology. Most of my work has appeared on either PBS, The Discovery Channel, or A&E.

I'm currently finishing a 90 minute feature called Abandoned in the Arctic. It's about a young man who travels to the high-Arctic (just 450 miles from the North Pole) to find the place where 19 of his great great grandfather's men froze and starved to death during the spring of 1884. His ancestor, Adolphus W. Greely, was eventually promoted to brigadier general, but he never escaped the nick-name "Eat 'Em Alive Greely." More about this later. In the meantime, you can check out the following web site about the expedition and the film www.cocked-hat.com

Recently, I've begun working on a book about other documentary filmmakers who I admire--including Michael Moore, Werner Herzog, and Errol Morris. I'm writing this for people who are interested in the world of documentary filmmaking but don't care about all the technical minutia that goes into making high-end films today. I'll be asking them about why they chose their subjects, where they draw the line between making their films entertaining and keeping them real, what other directors they admire, and how they find great characters. I'll keep this blog updated about my experiences meeting and interviewing these people as I progress.

If you read this, please drop me a line. I'm interested to know what you think.

Gino Del Guercio

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait for this.

Anonymous said...

I've seen several of your films and quite enjoyed them.

Anonymous said...

Gino del Guercio... the smartest fellow of the Marine Biological Laboratory... a great friend, colleague and a phenomenal storyteller. I can´t wait to see your expedition and to join and experience the risk and unavoidable drive of those who, like yourself, every day travel towards the impossible. Best, Jordi

Anonymous said...

We need this book! Finally, someone who knows what to ask will interview some of the most important story tellers of our time. Great idea, great start, great timing.

Technology now allows anyone to become a film maker. Del Guercio's book will have important insights for all of us!

Anonymous said...

With more stories like Stone's, this will prove to be a fascinating study. I look forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

A book about film makers. Just goes to show that probably the most literate people on earth are non-fiction film makers.... And I do look forward to reading it!

Eliene